Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Weekend in Charleston

My favorite picture of the trip - Folly Pier

I have a new rule, and it's "never waste a good three-day weekend". So, last Sunday night my husband and I decided that we needed to go somewhere for President's Day weekend and that somewhere would be Charleston. Not only is it one of our favorite cities, but it's the city we got married in last August. We actually hadn't been back since then.

We left Friday around 4:00 p.m. and hit the trifecta of horrible DC traffic: Friday afternoon, holiday weekend, and an accident on 95. It set us back about two and a half hours. We were planning on getting in pretty late, but ended up getting in at almost 2:30 a.m. We're used to driving long distances and getting in well into the night, but this was pushing it, even for us.

We pulled up to our little rental apartment on Folly and instantly loved it. We searched VRBO.com (one of my favorite travel sites) for something small, cozy and, honestly, cheap for the weekend. It was perfect! It was a small kitchen, bathroom and bedroom in a little complex right behind Snapper Jack's. It was only about a block from the beach and just around the corner from Center Street, where all the restaurants and shops on Folly are.

Saturday we spent the day shopping on King Street, which is one of my absolutely favorite places to shop. The best deal of the day went to Brooks Brothers, where I got some cute khaki cropped pants for more than half off. The pants aren't on the website any more, but lots of cute stuff is 60 percent off right now!

That night, we tried out a restaurant I've always wanted to try - Mercato. It's downtown right next to the market, hence the name. I had Pork Milanese and Breck had Chicken Marsala. Our food came out in less than ten minutes and we were literally blown away. Definitely one of the best dinners I've had in a while. We will be back!

Allagash White, yum

We spent the rest of the weekend hanging out with friends and eating at some more favorite places. Sunday morning we had brunch at Lost Dog Cafe and it was so good. I was craving some good cheesy grits and I got my wish. We also got about four drinks each...

I'll take a Cranberry Mimosa, Diet Coke, Coffee and Water...

We spent Sunday being lazy on Folly. We walked into Bert's Market, and saw a sign on the door for bike rentals down the street. We wandered over an met an interesting character who gave us two bikes for $10 as long as we promised to bring them back later that night. We rode down the island and even down the beach during sunset. It was definitely the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen. The photo and video opportunities during this trip were insane!






Sunday night we ate at another one of our go-to places, Taco Boy. You can't go wrong with a black bean quesadilla there, and we tried the Mexican cake dessert, too.

Monday we got up early to check-out of the condo and headed out of town early. We stopped at the Smithfield outlets in North Carolina on the way home and cleared out the J. Crew. Almost everything I bought was either black or neon pink. Whoops. The best score was definitely this pink blazer that I got for $40!

Nude wedges on super sale
Notice a pattern?
  
Overall it was a fun weekend, and I'm always happy to get to spend time in my favorite city. Can't wait til next time...

2 comments:

  1. omg so jealous of all your clothes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...so jealous of the clothing!!! Love the pink! You are going to look stunning! And fabulous photos! Loved hearing about your weekend! Thanks for sending me the link!

    ReplyDelete